Tuesday, September 2, 2008

This is where it all begins

No more toiling in obscurity. No more being overlooked. Todds have made their mark in business, science, professional sports and politics, and then received a collective shrug.

As we all know, Everybody Loves Raymond. Frasier. And then there's Maude.

But there is no show about Todd.

So now there is a blog about Todds, what they have done to make the world a better place and how we, as a society, can help them achieve greatness. Or even greater greatness, whatever the case may be.

This is not a blog about last names like Chuck Todd, NBC political analyst, or Mary Todd Lincoln, the wife of 16th U.S. president Abraham Lincoln. This is about Todd Lincoln, a native Oklahoman who went to Los Angeles and became an award-winning film director.

What, you've never heard of him? Neither had I, until I searched Google for Mary Todd Lincoln and saw his name underneath hers. Yet Todd Lincoln has been profiled in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Wired and other news outlets. His music videos have played on MTV and Fuse.

He is co-founder and director of Tulsa Underground, an annual film festival showcasing the world's most innovative short films and videos. He is directing a feature film adaptation of the cult comic book series Hack/Slash to hit theaters in 2009.

There are people who want you to think Todds like Todd Lincoln don't exist. I'm here to prove they do, one blog post at a time.

5 comments:

HK said...

I came across your blog because my son (named Todd, of course) was doing an introduce-yourself assignment where he had to answer questions about his name. Of course the one about other (famous) people who share his name had me stumped! I couldn't think of one! Google search led me here. Will you be resuming posting here anytime soon? Thanks!

Todd Ruger said...

Funny, you should mention it, because the Famous Todds blog is firing back up this month. Thanks for reading, glad it helped someone?

Or was it just another Internet dead end?

HK said...

It did help, actually-- thanks :-) It was the first result when Googling "famous Todds", and when I saw the title, figured it had to be a nice one-stop shop for some names.

Glad to hear it'll be starting back up!

Gina Quartermaine said...

Hi,
I was born in 1960.
My parents were not original thinkers and I am trying to figure out who was famous around that time to giver them the idea of naming me Todd.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Todd, Todd
todd@sel2us.net

Todd said...

I'm with Gina Quartermaine: Why did Todd show up as a first name out of nowhere in the 40s and 50s, peak in the 60s as the 31st most popular male baby name, and then quickly dry up to the point where almost nobody is naming their kids Todd. I can't think of a good historical narrative for this behavior, but I think this blog is the perfect place for this discussion.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=tod&ms=true&sw=m&exact=false